Social Media Statistics
- As of March 2019, the total worldwide population is over 7.7 billion.
- There are more than 4.3 billion internet users worldwide (more than half the global population).
- Every day during 2018, more than 1 million people came online for the first time.
- More than 3.48 billion people are currently on social media.
- Over 9 out of 10 users access social media via a mobile device.
- Statistically, there is a new social media user approximately every 10 seconds.
- People spend 1/7 of their waking lives on social media.
- 5.11 billion people now have mobile phones.
- The average social media user spends 2 hours and 16 minutes each day on social platforms.
- The average internet user now has an account on almost 9 social media platforms.
- Facebook Messenger and Whatsapp handle 60 billion+ messages a day.
This is WHY Social Media should NOT be overlooked…
Facebook: 2.32 billion users as of 12/18
Instagram: 1+ billion monthly active users
LinkedIn: 610+ million users
Pinterest: 250+ million monthly active users
Snapchat: 186+ million daily active users
Twitter: 321+ million monthly active users
WhatsApp: 1.5+ billion users
YouTube: 1.9+ billion users
In America: YouTube is Top Social Media Platform
Percentage of U.S. Adults who use:
Social media business statistics
- 81% of all small and medium businesses use some kind of social platform.
- 28% of marketers have either already implemented social commerce or plan to do so in the next year.
- 77% of brands expect their social media use to increase.
- Most businesses maintain between four and 10 social media profiles.
- 90% of brands use social media to increase brand awareness.
- More than 40% of digital consumers use social networks to research new brands or products.
- 53% of businesses utilize social advertising.
- Social media ad spending in 2019 is expected to reach nearly $93 billion.
- 7 million businesses use paid advertising on Facebook.
- 2 million businesses use paid advertising on Instagram.
- The number of SMBs utilizing YouTube ads has doubled in the past 2 years.
- The number of small businesses using Pinterest ads increased 50% from 2017 to 2018.
- 2 million advertisers use stories across Facebook, Instagram and Facebook Messenger.
- Global social media advertising spending increased 32% in 2018 and is predicted to grow an additional 73% in the next five years.
- People are increasingly using social media for work activities.
- Half of Generation Z and 42% or Millennials says social media is the most relevant ad channel.
Social video statistics
- By 2020, nearly 1 million minutes of video will cross the internet every second.
- 5 billion videos are watched every day on YouTube.
- Video is expected to comprise 82% of internet traffic by 2021.
- 81% of businesses utilize video as a marketing tool.
- Six out of 10 people prefer watching online videos to television.
- 75% of all video plays are now on mobile devices.
- 72% of customers would rather learn about a product or service via video.
- 65% of people use YouTube as a problem-solving resource.
- Social media posts with video get 48% more views.
- Social video generates 1,200% more shares than text and image content combined.
- Facebook has over 8 billion daily video views.
- Facebook now logs 100 million hours of video watch time each day.
- here are 1.2 billion total video views on Twitter every day.
- Tweets with video get 10 times more engagement than those without and are also 6 times more likely to be retweeted.
- Video campaigns on LinkedIn have 50% view rates.
- A website is 53 times more likely to achieve page 1 Google ranking if it includes video.
- Almost 50% of internet users will look for videos related to a product or service before visiting a store.
- 85% of consumers want to see more video content from brands.
- Adding video to your emails can increase click rates by 300%.
- 50% of viewers ages 18-34 will stop what they are doing to watch a video from their favorite creator.
- 64% of consumers will make a purchase after watching branded videos on social platforms.
- Facebook remains the top social media platform in 2019.
- Facebook’s number of monthly active users (MAU) grew steadily throughout 2018.
- More than 2 billion users log on to Facebook every month.
- In Europe, more than 307 million people are on Facebook.
- Approximately 74% of Facebook users access the platform daily, with 51% visiting multiple times per day.
- 150 million people use Facebook Stories daily.
- Facebook Messenger is the world’s top mobile app in terms of downloads.
- The number of Facebook users age 65 and older has doubled since 2012, with 41% of U.S. senior citizens now using Facebook.
- 68% of U.S. adults use Facebook, most of them daily.
- 95% of businesses use Facebook throughout the world.
- Facebook users and businesses exchange more than 10 billion messages per month.
- 1.6 billion people are connected to small businesses via Facebook.
- Facebook’s advertising revenue was more than $55 billion in 2018, with 94% of that revenue coming from mobile ads in Q4.
- The average American Facebook user clicks on 8 Facebook ads monthly.
- Twitter has 321 million monthly active users.
- 40% of 18- to 29-year-old Americans use Twitter.
- Approximately 46% of Twitter users visit the platform every day, with 26% visiting multiple times per day.
- Twitter users post about 500 million tweets each day.
- 84% of businesses use Twitter.
- 85% of small and medium businesses with Twitter accounts believe Twitter is an important customer service tool.
- 80% of Twitter users access the platform on mobile devices.
- 74% of Twitter users use the platform to get their news.
- It took 3 years, 2 months and 1 day to go from the first tweet to the billionth.
- LinkedIn has more than 610 million members.
- Two new users join LinkedIn every second.
- The majority of Fortune 500 executives and decisionmakers use LinkedIn.
- 57% of LinkedIn traffic comes from mobile users.
- 62% of businesses have a LinkedIn account.
- There are more than 30 million companies on LinkedIn.
- 63% of businesses on LinkedIn say their top priority for LinkedIn use in 2019 is driving more leads.
- U.S. marketers polled in November 2017 said LinkedIn was the safest social ad platform for brands in terms of divisive politics or fake news.